Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Reflective essay


Carson Dutkanych
3w
9/25/12
Potts

Reflective essay

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell has really gained my title of favorite in all of the few literature I have read.  This book, what some people call tasteless and vile is just a way to connect with someone as horrendous as a lot of people but somehow are very successful doing that. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is an autobiography of a graduate  student attending Law named Tucker Max. What most people call repulsive, and a womanizer, I call him genius. the book was introduced to me by my brother who is now in thailand studying abroad. He actually didn’t show it too me, I just picked it up off the back of his car one day and started reading. Instantly I was hooked, and wanted more. Unfortunately my mom hopped into the car after I read the first story “The Famous Sushi in the Pants Story”, so I was forced to retire. Well, about a year later, a pretty good friend of mine Martin, who also had an influential brother was introduced and told me about it. Martin brought it to me one day, and I instantly recognized it. I was so hyped about the book I went rummaging through my brothers car for the buried treasure. I had recovered it, and secretly took it to enjoy. To this day I am waiting for the chance to order the sequel, Assholes Finish First.
Though it had many memorable face cringing stories that would make people shun a person like this. The book really helped me connect to the author and help me understand what kind of a person he was. Though it sounds some what disgusting that a sixteen year old can relate to a sex driven alcoholic, it really isn’t. This book doesn’t have to be just for the pleasure of the readers, it can actually help open one’s mind and realize the world we life in isn’t so up tight, and unforgiving as we think, unless we do what Tucker Max succeeds to do. It almost has given me a great awakening about what is acceptable in society. Though people take it the bad way, and want to be like him. You can also take his mistakes as learning examples, and situations where we think should be outlawed is actually humorous.
A situation that would be taken as disrespectful, or a no-no in the society I grew up in could be explained in the charity auction story that is in the book. In this Story Tucker decides to get a bottle of White in one hand and a bottle of red in the opposite. Taking simultaneous swigs out of each bottle during a charity auction for his summer internship. Once He reached a point that he can’t control himself (Alcohol is the motivator to all his stories) He climbs on the stage and starts to “run” the auction. Blabbering into the microphone about what is being auctioned and screaming profusely at people to bid higher, he almost creates a comedy act. Instead of people being disgusted at him, they burst out in laughter and enjoy the show. What I am trying to reflect upon about this certain passage is that sometimes you need to have a good time. All work and no play makes jack a tall boy. Not saying that you should go out and get hammered off two separate wines, but know when to make something exciting and to get people more involved, though Tucker didn’t really understand what he was doing.
Another passage that can show you how messed up people can be in certain situations is titled “The Key West Trip.” So at a particular time of Tucker’s years at Duke law school, he was dating a girl that had so much family money that she didn’t know what to do with. Well, one weekend they decide to travel down to Key West, Florida on a  chartered plane and a limo meeting them when they landed, while they stayed at fancy hotel on Duval Street. While he was there Tucker had ordered the most expensive of everything and describes the girl to be too stupid for society, so she just went along with it. After the trip he ends up never calling her again. For a reflective note, that is just wrong. How could someone do this to a person, and not feel guilty about it at all. I feel that it has improved my respect towards people with wealth, and to always be modest though you have excess amounts of goods.
Overall, I absolutely enjoyed this book. Through its sick raunchiness, there is some light that can be seen. Though it isn’t really a book that is supposed to teach one personal morals it somehow can. If you thoroughly read each story and pay attention to his actions and behaviors you can learn to be a better person by doing the opposite of what he does. Like in my two passage examples, I feel like I have respected peoples wealth more and learned to act goofy around certain higher powers that could feel that they want to not be so uptight. It helps them show you their real side. I would definitely recommend this book to someone that can withstand sickening, disrespectful as much as I can. Hopefully, in the near future I will be even a better morally fitted human being when I read the sequel Assholes Finish First.

No comments:

Post a Comment